11/12/10

Oishii!

Photo by CP

As regular readers know, my favorite place to get away to is Hyannis on the Cape here in Massachusetts and my favorite restaurant there is Embargo with its tapas menu.  It was at Embargo that tuna sashimi and I became good friends this past summer and since then I've been gradually looking for opportunities to expand my sushi palate.

I was happily surprised to find this week that Embargo has added a sushi component to its menu, Tuesday through Saturday nights! There are now nine sushi entries in addition to the tuna sashimi and over two visits I tried three.

Listed as futomaki zushi I tried a roll of spicy tuna, cucumber kimchee, mango and tobiko aioli.  I can certainly tell you it was delicious - but I have a lot to learn about sushi before I'll be able to me more descriptive.  Suffice it to say that it's exciting to discover new flavors and textures of food, not to mention the beauty of these dishes when they arrive at your place.  I did take a photo but the light was poor and my phone camera wasn't up to the task.)

Later in the evening I was speaking with the establishment's owner when the sushi chef brought him a sample of a new menu item, a Philadelphia roll of salmon and cream cheese.  I was offered a taste and in spite of the fact that salmon is not one of my favorite foods, it was delicious.

Tonight I ordered the nigiri tuna sashimi (pictured above as it was served on a wood block and below as a close-up).  The tuna comes with a sweet soy reduction, sambal pearls, wasabi, pickled ginger and a garnish of a salad that's as tasty as it is beautiful.

Photo by CP



Yet again I left Embargo wondering why I denied myself these wonderful tastes for so long because I was convinced, without ever trying it, that I just didn't like sushi!


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

2 comments:

  1. Father - your closing line reminds me that there is a great parable about faith and church attendance in this on-going sushi series. And I - who once assiduously avoided both church and sushi, came to be transformed. And the transformation continues!

    Fran (at work)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sushially for you

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/earlygrrrl/3370590257/

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!