12/25/10

Is there room in the inn tonight?

Image: Dowrummel

Homily for Christmas 2010
(Scriptures for Mass at Midnight)

The first Mass on the Christmas schedule, 4:00 p.m. in my parish, always draws the largest of all our large Christmas assemblies. It’s not unusual for us to begin this 4:00 liturgy as much as 10 minutes early because at that point the church has already overflowed its confines and, well, there’s no more room in the inn!

Given the number of young families with children who come to this first Christmas liturgy, it’s been my practice for years to prepare one homily for this Mass and another for the rest of the Christmas schedule - as I did this week. 

This year I followed my usual practice but realized after the 4:00 that I preferred that homily to the other one tucked in my drawer in the sacristy. So I preached the 4:00 homily at the 6:30 p.m. and the Midnight Masses, too.

Although I almost always preach from a text, at this 4:00 Mass I went “textless.” As a result, I have only the audio below to offer you.

Merry Christmas!


Audio for homily



 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. I am grateful for this audio you have offered us, on this Christmas Day.

    the knocking in your homily shook my body and my mind and my heart-
    shook them to at least the attention that they needed to give-
    and maybe, hopefully?, will shake them to peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed Holy Family this Christmas since it was our year to be with my family in CT, so I just now played your homily while the kids were quietly playing with their Christmas presents in the living room. At the end Willa said, "I was happy to hear that because I understand Father Fleming better than any other priest. I hope he stays our priest forever." Merry Christmas. :-)
    Meighan

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!