1/24/11

Monday Morning Offering - 129


Image: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

What I’d like to offer you this morning, Lord, is -
the rest of January!

And when I say I’d like to “offer” it to you
what I really mean is,
“You can have it back...”

But that would only bring me to February -
and I’m pretty sure you can keep February, too...

So, what I’d really like, Lord,
is to jump from here to March,
to the thaw of things cold frozen:
to the promise of warm, moist earth,
the caress of spring's first day,
to trees greening and jonquils blooming…

So, I'd like to trade you the rest of January
and all of February - for March 1...

I know you’re not surprised, Lord.
You know I'd rather skate the hard times
skirt the rough patches, skip the dark days
and sleep or wish them all away...

But I know that's not your way, Lord...

So what I need to offer you this morning
is my prayer for a heart and mind
willing to face, to take on
the rest of January - and February, too...

I pray for a soul strong to brave and walk
the cold, gray haze of winter:
a soul to seek and find the peace of your presence
and the help of others
to lead and guide me to spring...

Give me the wisdom, the strength, the will I need, Lord,
to make it from here
to where I want to go,
to where I want to be,
to where you call me...

Let me not hesitate a moment
when a glimmer of your light shines upon my path,
when even a faint touch of your hand graces my own...

Help me take it a day at a time, Lord,
a week at a time,
a season at a time…

Open my eyes and ears and heart:
to those I meet along the way
and to those who need the help
that I can offer...

So, I’ll take the rest of January, Lord,
and February, too, and pray you’ll accept
this offering of a heart in need of your grace,
longing to move on,
and yearning for spring…

Amen.

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

  1. This Monday Offering is really beautiful. I love the way you connect the 'rest of January and February' to the rough spots in our lives. A wonderful prayer that I share with you today. Thank you.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!