3/6/11

An ebb and flow... but the sea remains the same...

Deep Blue Sea by Vincent van Gogh

H/T to FB friend LuM for posting this rich quote from Henri Nouwen.

I can't count the number of people in my life who might find grace and strength in these words...

Dear Lord, today I thought of the words of Vincent van Gogh:
"It is true there is an ebb and flow, but the sea remains the sea." 
You are the sea. Although I experience many ups and downs in my emotions and often feel great shifts and changes in my inner life, you remain the same. Your sameness is not the sameness of a rock, but the sameness of a faithful lover. Out of your love I came to life; by your love I am sustained; and to your love I am always called back. There are days of sadness and days of joy; there are feelings of guilt and feelings of gratitude; there are moments of failure and moments of success; but all of them are embraced by your unwavering love.

My only real temptation is to doubt in your love, to think of myself as beyond the reach of your love, to remove myself from the healing radiance of your love. To do these things is to move into the darkness of despair.

O Lord, sea of love and goodness, let me not fear too much the storms and winds of my daily life, and let me know that there is ebb and flow but that the sea remains the sea.
Amen.
- Henri J.M. Nouwen

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. While I am only in your life through your wonderful blog, you can count me among those who find grace and strength in this quote. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...by your love I am sustained; and to your love I am always called back. There are days of sadness and days of joy"
    While in Iraq God always gave us a sign He was with us: in the rain,the wind(sandstorms), the snow, in the compassion of one another as we prayed for those who left us for a better place.

    As we begin a new journey next week I pray that our eyes will always be open to the signs of His love...and I pray that those we encounter/who are entrusted to our care will feel His Love too.

    "Lead, Kindly Light, amidst th'encircling gloom,
    Lead Thou me on!The night is dark, and I am far from home,
    Lead Thou me on!
    Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
    The distant scene; one step enough for me"

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!