4/26/11

Noli me tangere!

Detail from Noli Me Tangere by Giotto di Bondone
Today's gospel includes the account of the post-Resurrection encounter between the Risen Christ and Mary Magdalene. FB friend LM posted this reflection today:

Mary Magdala’s Easter Prayer

I never suspected
   Resurrection
      and to be so painful
      to leave me weeping
with joy
   to have met you, alive and smiling, 
      outside an empty tomb
with regret
   not because I’ve lost you
   but because I’ve lost you in how I had you –
      in understandable, touchable, kissable, clingable flesh
   not as fully Lord, but as graspably human.

I want to cling, despite your protest
   cling to your body
   cling to your, and my, clingable humanity
   cling to what we had, our past.

But I know that . . . if I cling
   you cannot ascend and
I will be left clinging to your former self
… unable to receive your present spirit.



by Ronald Rolheiser, OMI

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

3 comments:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!