5/25/11

Link of the Day: Bob Hostetler's Prayer Blog




One of the features of this page is my Monday Morning Offering. I enjoy writing these weekly prayers and other prayers that appear in my posts from time to time.  What I try to provide is what I might call "prayer from where we are."  By that I mean prayer that rises out of our ordinary day to day experience with all its ups and downs, joys and sorrows, dreams and disappointments, spiritual victories and sinful failures.

I find the same kind of prayer in what Alden Solovy posts at To Bend Light. Alden writes from the spirituality of his Jewish faith and I delight in how comfortably I find myself at home in his "prayers from where we are."

I'm pleased to share with you another prayer scribe whom I recently discovered.  Bob Hostetler writes Bob Hostetler's Prayer Blog - and Bob, too, "prays from where we are."

Hotetler collects prayers from spiritual writers, saints, composers, poets and other bloggers (including, on occasion, Concord Pastor) - all of them "prayers from where we are."

On occasion, he takes one of the psalms and prays/rewrites it as his own.  Here's a sample, My Own Psalm 142 - you won't be disappointed.

And here are a few of Bob's own briefer prayers:

Sump Pump
Thank you, Lord,
for sump pumps,
that work unceasingly,
unseen,
unnoticed,
and yet prevent so much harm.
Kinda like your Spirit.
Amen.

Not
Lord God, Heavenly Father,
I know that I am not yet
what you call me to be,
but I thank you from my heart
that I am not now what I once was.
Amen.  

Alpha and Omega
Alpha and Omega, First and Last, I pray:
be my first thought every morning,
and my last thought every night.

Claim my first allegiance,
my last full measure of devotion.

Take first place in my heart,
and rule over every last affection.

Make me first to serve,
last to seek credit.

Let me please you first,
and all others last, amen.  

Socks 
Abba, Father,
my Lord God,
thank you for a family
that blesses my socks off.  

Bob Hostetler is a writer from southwest Ohio whose 26 books include American Idols (The Worship of the American Dream). He is also a frequent speaker at conferences, retreats, and churches around the world.  In addition to his Prayer Blog he also writes two others: Hither and Yon and Desperate Pastor Blog.

I'll be adding Bob's Prayer Blog to my sidebar.




Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pointer to Bob's blog! One place I find very helpful and thought provoking, which you may or may not know about, is Inward/Outward: http://www.inwardoutward.org/
    Blessings!
    hopeeternal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these new additions to the sidebar. I am touched and enlightened each day by you and them. And I'm so glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the kind words! I read your blog daily, so it was such a pleasant surprise to read your kind words about my prayer blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, once again, for your kind words about my work. Alden

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!