5/19/11

May 19, 1973

Image: Cardinal Sean's Blog

It was 38 years ago this morning that I lay face down in the sanctuary of Holy Cross Cathedral in Boston while the Litany of the Saints was chanted at my ordination.

On that morning I had nary a notion of what it meant to be a pastor.  My mind and heart were filled with thoughts about becoming a priest.  At that time in the Archdiocese of Boston, no priest was made a pastor before he had served a quarter century as an assistant to a pastor.

Times have changed.

It turns out that I was named a pastor after 21 years of ministry and nowadays the move from priest to pastor often happens in fewer than 10 years.

I am happy to be a priest and a pastor and my ministry has filled my life with challenge, joy, burdens and above all with the grace of God.

On my ordination day I wasn't thinking about retirement either!  That was probably the furthest thing from my mind.  But I think about that much more frequently at this point in my life, especially since last year the age for retirement in the Archdiocese was changed from 70 to 75.  (I turned 64 last month.)

In addition to that, it's clear that the pastoral planning direction of the Archdiocese will find me and most other active priests as the pastor of not one but of two or three parishes simultaneously.  Within the 10 years ahead of me the number of pastors in the Church of Boston will reduce from about 300 to 150.

There's no end to the challenges the Church faces these days.

More and more I'm finding my encouragement in the lives of the people I serve.  I see, daily, the many ways in which the lives of others didn't turn out just the way they thought, hoped and prayed they would.  I see the burdens which married people, families and individuals pick up and carry as the years go by - and I see the grace and love with which those same people bear those burdens.  You are in inspiration to me!

So, on the 38th anniversary of my ordination I look back with gratitude to God and God's people for the joy that's been mine in serving the Lord and in being welcomed into the lives of so many.  And I look ahead, not without some fear and trepidation, to the last chapter of my ministry and, I hope, some years of retirement at the end.

Just to be clear, by retirement I mean coming to a time when I no longer sit at the desk where the buck stops.  I can't imagine not serving God' people and being active in their lives, especially through preaching and the sacraments.  Please God, I will have the health and help I need to persevere in the work the Lord has given me.

Please pray for me and for all my classmates who were at my side in the cathedral on May 19, 1973

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

11 comments:

  1. These long years must be a treasure house of so much for you. I would love to read a book of your memoirs.
    Thanks for your inspiration here on the blog.It means a great deal to me.
    I wish I lived nearer to Boston !
    Whatever you face in the future I know that the Holy Spirit will be right there beside you breathing in that life and vigour that the spirit gives uniquely to each of us. I know what you mean when you say life does not always turn out how we expected and that the challenges thrown at us as we get older are not always easy to cope with but you have so many people that love and support you and from whom you can draw on so I hope you continue to be nurtured and cared for. They are lucky to have you for their pastor.
    Blessings dear friend and hope you had a Happy Day !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for you every day and I am grateful that we are so lucky in Concord to have you as our pastor. Thanks for becomine a priest 38 years ago and congrats on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 38th Anniversary!!! Many blessings on you for your ministry.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at a 50th anniversary of ordination last night. These anniversaries are fun to celebrate! May you continue to find blessing and be a blessing in the midst of God's beloved community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessed anniversary of ordination! What a gift you have been and will be to the church we love! You have my gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazingly oceans far from where am at but your blog has been a source of reassurance, inspiration, information, challenge and sometimes, even a tender "knock" on my stubborn head that it seems you're (like) living next door. I thank God for having "met" you - you are a blessing not only to your parish/community but to me as well. Congratulations and may you continue to be blessed as you have been a blessing to us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your 38th! I hope ministry continues to be exciting for you for many, many more years! Be well, good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your 38th anniversary of becoming a priest and on your 17th anniversary of becoming a pastor! We are so blessed to have you as our pastor. Thank you for all you do for each of us. May God bless you and keep you in his loving care as you continue to minister to your parishioners and through your blog to "the world." Wow, that is impressive!

    Love,
    Rosemary

    P.S. Ad multos annos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you were ordained, did you have a particular priest that you wanted to emulate? Or a particular way of being a priest that you wanted to try? Were there role models in the seminary that were especially helpful for your new role as a priest?

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  10. A particular priest I wanted to emulate? Not that I recall. A particular way of being a priest I wanted to try? Just wanted to do my work well. Especially helpful role models in the seminary? Not that I recall.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!