7/18/11

Monday Morning Offering - 152


Image: George Mendoza

-->
Good morning, good God!

What a gift is this day, Lord,
and though I often forget,
I know you always give me
but one day at a time...

Not a few days in a bunch,
not a week, a month or a year:
you give me only one day at a time
and that’s more than enough, Lord,
more than enough for today…

All my yesterdays and yesteryears
came also from your hand
but they are past and they are gone
while this day’s gift is new and fresh,
a day that you have made…

And while I hope tomorrow will be
peaceful in your care,
my future is unknown to me,
still stored within your heart,
a mystery past my grasp…

You’ve given me this one day,  Lord,
no more than that and,
I pray,
no less...

So I offer you this day
and pray that in its course I’ll find you
walking by my side,
pulsing in my heart,
coloring my thoughts,
shaping all my choices,
speaking in my prayer,
helping me be strong,
calling me to rest,
holding me in love...

I offer you this one day, Lord,
and pray I not be burdened
by memories of what’s past,
by sorrows born of loss,
by worry of what’s yet to be,
by fear of what's unknown,...

I offer but this one day, Lord:
let my work give you glory,
my heart open wide to your help,
my soul welcome your peace,
and my hands reach out
to serve my neighbors' needs...

Help me live this day as you’ve offered it:
this one day you’ve made
for my living and breathing,
my growing and giving,
my sharing and spending in your grace...

I offer you this day, Lord,
and pray I make of it a gift
to you and all whose paths cross mine
before this day shall end...

Today’s the day you’ve made, O Lord:
in it let me be glad and find my joy!

Receive my offering of this day, Lord,
and at its close
grant me peaceful rest and sleep...

Amen.

(Click here for an archive of Monday Morning Offerings)

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

  1. thank you...

    on Monday, I read this, at my usual time, on my way to work, but it was just too much for that day...

    so I decided to try it again, and again, throughout this week, a little at a time...

    today I am able to take in some of it-
    some of it makes sense now, for me, for this week, for today...

    I plan on reading this- praying this- tomorrow and through the rest of this week-
    and I pray that by this week's end, I will be able to take in all of it-

    thank you again.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!