11/14/11

Monday Morning Offering - 169


Coffee in the Morning by George Mendoza


Good morning, good God...

It's only mid-November
yet these shortened days already
shade my heart and leave me
longing for the spring while
winter waits, just weeks away…

The end of saving daylight
darkens every afternoon,
sunny days and cloudy all alike:
a hush falls by four and five
finds the moon bright, full,
shining on a leafy harvest rustled
from bare branches all around…

Remind me, Lord, how moonlight’s
but the sun diffused: Sol’s warmth,
now cooled and wrapping nature’s shoulders
for a good night’s sleep,
is bound for wintry rest…

November’s moon is August’s sun:
one source, one heat, one light,
one hope that winter’s chill will bow,
come time, and yield once more
to light that saves, to longer days,
to nature’s greening once again
and waking to the spring…

Give me, a child of your light,
safe passage through this time;
give me hope to wait the Day
whose warmth no wind can chill,
whose light no darkness knows,
whose sun will never set…

Receive my morning offering, Lord,
as this new day, this week begins -
and hold me
in a season of your peace…

Amen.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-11


(Click here for an archive of Monday Morning Offerings)
 

 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!