11/9/11

Psalm 23 in the Month of All Souls

Near restful waters he leads me... Image source

Psalm 23 is often prayed at the bedside of the dying, at wakes and at funeral liturgies. While the whole psalm offers comfort at such moments, the triple promise of refreshing rest, a companion for the journey and a place at the Lord's table can soothe even the most troubled of hearts.

This is a month to pray for those who have died. When you have some quiet time, pray this psalm for those among your family and friends who have died. And pray if for yourself, too, that one day the same rest, companionship and feast will be yours as well..

The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I shall want.
Fresh and green are the pastures
where he gives me repose.
Near restful waters he leads me,
to revive my dropping spirit.
He guides me along the right path;
he is true to his name.
If I should walk in the valley of darkness
no evil would I fear.

You are there with your crook and your staff;
with these you give me comfort.
You have prepared a banquet for me
in the sight of my foes.
My head you have anointed with oil;
my cup is overflowing.
Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me
all the days of my life.
In the Lord's own house shall I dwell
for ever and ever.




 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

  1. I love the 23rd Psalm. Even in those years, when I was so far from Church, I had them committed to memory and would recite them often.

    So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!