1/4/12

A streetside epiphany...


H/T to MS (Click on photo for a larger version)

The picture came four years ago from a reader who then lived in Brookline, MA. It's a night shot whose darkness reveals more than any daylight photo might have shown us.

I was immediately taken with this side-street scene : a street lamp burning star-like above and a doorway from which spills a splash of light in the darkness: light to light in the darkness...

The lamp and the entry way, the star and the dwelling, the royal beauty bright and a door upon which to knock...


Dear Magi,
Were you confused?
Did you wonder if you'd taken a wrong turn?
Had you misjudged the star's GPS?
Was it all a big mistake?
Could this really be the street? the place? the door?

The light spills into the night,
beckons and calls:
"This way! Come this way!
Let go your thoughts
of what should have been, 

what might have been,
and open your heart to what is,
what will be,
and to where he is,
where he dwells,
in the warmth of his light
on this chilled, dark night..."

Teach us wisdom, Magi:
open our eyes to the star above
and to the glow of his presence
living just across the street,
lighting the paths we walk each day,
lifting us up and out of our darkness
to the radiance of his holy face...


Amen.


 
Epiphany 2012

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. oh, thank you-

    I just saw this post and tears immediately came to my eyes-
    I needed this right here, right now-
    and your words in this post are very appropriate for TODAY-
    they help compliment and confirm what words I heard today from a very important person in my life-

    thank you for this-
    and for reminding me of this-

    (and for keeping this, and re-posting this- I needed this and I do hope, somehow, somewhere, that this might speak to someone else too... )

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I wanted to make a correction
    to my comment from last night-

    I said, ...from a very important person in my life.

    I should have said, or meant to say, ...from ANOTHER very important person in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!