2/25/12

Praying 10 Minutes a Day: 1st Sunday of Lent

Image: StevesDevotions

Here are some thoughts you might bring to your "10 Minutes..." today.

Folks often come to prayer thinking that they must do something or say something.  All one really need do is to make the time and place to sit quietly, even silently, in the presence of God.  That is a prayer in itself, simply to sit, in silence, aware of God's presence.

Be still, and know that I am God...

Of course one may speak when praying but that's not altogether necessary.  Again: it is a prayer in itself, simply to sit, in silence, aware of God's presence.

As we noted yesterday, "showing up" for prayer is the one thing the praying person needs to do.  SO much of everything else is God's work!  God is never surprised by our coming to prayer because drawing us to prayer is something God never ceases to work on.  Consider this poem by the Iranian mystic, Hafiz:
We Should Talk about This Problem

There is a beautiful creature
Living in a hole you have dug.

So at night
I set fruit and grains
And little pots of wine and milk
Beside your soft earthen mounds,

And I often sing.

But still,
You do not come out.

I have fallen in love with someone
Who hides inside you.

We should talk about this problem---

Otherwise,
I will never leave you alone.

It is something like this with God and each of us.  I might have many ways of trying to hide my self (the beautiful creature God made) from others, from God - and even from myself.  But God is a lover, always looking for ways to draw us closer to his heart.  God, who loves me, seeks to draw me out of the holes I've dug and hide in.  God, who loves me, wants very much to be with me.  God, who loves me, wants to lift me up and out of all my hiding and to sit and talk with me.

Be still and know that I am God...

A big problem that keeps many of us from prayer is our doubting that God loves us.  God wants to talk to us about that problem  -- otherwise, he'll never leave us alone.  Prayer is a way to do that, even simply sitting in silence, aware of God's presence. 

Such quiet waiting often leads to words... and God would be pleased to hear you...
 

Are you new to "Praying 10 Minutes a Day in Lent" - or are you having trouble getting started?  The first installment offers some thoughts on getting started, as do the subsequent posts in the series.  So take a look and join us!


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!