4/1/12

Homily for Palm Sunday


Detail from Crucifix by Cimabue


Palm Sunday Homily
(Scriptures for Palm Sunday)

-->
Although it's at the very heart of our faith, the story of the suffering and death of Jesus is recounted in its entirety only twice a year, and then in the same week: on Palm Sunday and Good Friday.

Though we hear this story infrequently, its characters, scenes, words and phrases live in our imagination: particular words and phrases have embedded themselves in our spiritual memory.

So some of these verses echo in a place deep in your soul, as they do in mine?

Listen again...

I say to you, one of you will betray me...

Surely, it is not I, Lord?

Take and eat: this is my body…
Drink, all of you: this is my blood…

They promised him money...

You will deny me three times...

You could not keep watch with me for one hour?

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Father, your will, not mine, be done...

I do not know the man!
A cock crowed...
Peter went out and wept...

Crucify him!

So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd...

They spit on him…

My God, why have you abandoned me?

Truly, this man was the Son of God!
-->
Any of these words, these phrases, these images would be good food for prayer and reflection in the week ahead...

Which of these words (or others) finds a home in your heart?  a home in your prayer? 

We enter the Week we call Holy when Christians around the world pause to remember and celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

May the story of his suffering and death refresh our faith in his love poured out for us.

May the words of Jesus' passion, embedded in our hearts, bring us to the peace and joy of Easter.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!