5/11/12

Praying 10 minutes today: Friday 5/11

On the Sea of Galilee (image source)

These daily posts, Praying 10 Minutes Today, began three weeks ago to the day. I hope they're helpful in your prayer life - I know they are in mine.

On FaceBook yesterday, Fr. James Martin, SJ posted a short reflection on the day's gospel. I thought it might be helpful to consider his words here while we stop for 10 minutes of prayer.

 Of Jesus' words, "Remain in my love..." Martin wrote:
What does it mean to "remain" or "abide" in Jesus' love? What does it mean when he says "remain in me"? First, it means keeping the Commandments, listening to Jesus' words and following his way. But it also means spending time with him. If a friend asked you to "remain" with him, say, while he was in a hospital bed anticipating surgery, you would know simply to stay and be. Or if you are having an enjoyable day at a friend's house, she might say to you, "Why don't you stay a little longer?" They're asking you to "remain." Remaining with Jesus is somewhat similar. It can mean meditating on his words, spending one-on-one time with him in prayer, and even picturing yourself in his presence. Why not imagine yourself sitting with Jesus by the Sea of Galilee? After your prayer is finished, imagine him remaining in your heart. Remain with him and let him remain with you.
These daily posts are offered to help us remain and abide with Jesus at least for 10 minutes each day...
Perhaps Fr. Martin's reflection provides the word the Lord has for us today:  Remain in my love... 

Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths... be still  and know that God is near...

A word to reflect on:   
Jesus said: "As the Father loves me, so I love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love...  I have told you this so that my joy might be yours and your joy might be complete."  John 15

Keep me faithful, Lord, to meeting every day with you
   for these 10 minutes of prayer...
Send your Spirit to seed my heart
   with a desire to be with you, to remain with you, to stay with you...
Lead me to want to find you,
   hang out with you... chill with you... grab a cup of coffee with you...
Just as I make time to be with my friends,
   so may I plan to rendezvous with you each day
     to get together with you, enjoy your company
         and share with you my day's ups and downs...
When I get distracted or anxious or unsure in my prayer, Lord,
   give me the grace to remain with you, to trust in you,
      to know that it's your desire just to sit with me
         and that in your company - all shall be well...
Help me remember that you're always by my side,
   always ready to take a break with me,
      never in too much of a hurry to stop everything
         and take some time out to spend with me, one on one...
I want to spend some time with you today, Lord:
   to remain with you, be with you, in the stillness of prayer,
      in the peace that only your presence can give...
Remain with me, Lord, and help me remain with you...


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day and a link to the Lenten series from which these daily posts originated.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!