5/11/12

Praying 10 minutes today: Saturday 5/12

Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths... be still  and know that God is near...

A word to reflect on:   
I call you friends... It was not you who chose me but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain...  John 15



Who picked whom?  That's the question, isn't it...
I keep forgetting, Lord,
   that it was you who set this all in motion...
It was you who created the world, and everything in it...
It was you who created human beings...
It was you who decided that I should come to be,
   that I should be born, that I should live...
It was you who knew me by my name
   so long before, millennia before my parents came to be,
      before they met, before they knew each other's name...
It was you who chose me to be the person you made me to be
   before I ever knew there was a God...
I did not choose you, Lord,
   no more than I choose to know you... or love you...
It is you who reveal yourself to me in so many ways
   and you whose love for me calls forth whatever love I offer you...
It is not I who chose to pray today,
   it was you who called me to prayer and, this day, right now,
      with the help and grace of your Spirit,
         I have not run away, not been too busy,
         I have not blocked out the call of your voice,
         I have not turned to other pursuits or purpose
but instead
         I have opened my heart to your Word,
         I have asked you to help me to listen,
         I have not turned away
            but have found a quiet time and place,
               a stillness in which I know that you choose me to be
                  your friend, your beloved, your child...
In the stillness of this moment, this prayer,
   I have chosen only to surrender and be glad
      that you, in your great love, have chosen me...
And as your chosen, you will ask something of me:
   you will ask me to bear the fruit of this moment
      and to find some way to share what I harvest here
         with others, others whom you have also chosen,
            others whom you also love...
I am grateful, Lord, with all my heart,
   to know that you have chosen one like me to be your own...
Give me the serenity, the peace, the grace, the stillness
   to offer back to you all that you have shared with me...

            
Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day and a link to the Lenten series from which these daily posts originated.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!