5/26/12

Praying 10 minutes today: SUNDAY May 27

The Novena for Pentecost concluded yesterday and we return now to the simpler format for Praying 10 minutes today...


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths... be still and know that God is near...

A word to reflect on: 
LORD, you have probed me, you know me: you know when I sit and stand; you understand my thoughts from afar.  You sift through my travels and my rest; with all my ways you are familiar.  Even before a word is on my lips, you know it all.    -Psalm 139

I need so much to slow down, Lord...
I want to sit in the shade of your presence,
   as at the foot of a mighty oak, leaning on you,
      depending on you for strength I need and cannot find...
Thank you, Lord, for this time, for this place
   and for being at my side every time I look for you,
      every time I call your name...
You know me, Lord...
That you know me so well is a blessing
   and at the same time an embarrassment
      for there's nothing about me you don't know
         and there are things about me I wish I didn't know
            and things I just don't understand...
But you do understand me, everything about me,
   and yet you love me, in spite of my failings,
      my weaknesses, my faults: you love me...
You know when I sit and when I stand,
   when I lie and when I tell the truth;
you know my good thoughts and my bad,
   my best intentions and my worst
      and yet still, you love me...
You read my mind, Lord:
   even before a word is on my lips,
      you know it...
You read my heart, Lord:
   you know my generosity
      and you know my selfishness...
You read my hopes, Lord:
   you know what I need and what I want,
      and you know the difference between the two
         even when I get them mixed up...
You know my dreams, Lord:
   you know my most noble hopes
      and you know my foolish fantasies...
You know everything there is to know about me, Lord,
   and yet still, you love me...
Help me sift, as you do, Lord,
   through the ups and downs of this day,
      its joys and sorrows and my faithfulness
         to you, to your Word and to others...
Help me see myself as you see me,
   with eyes that see the truth of things
      and with a heart that sees the goodness in me
         that mirrors your presence in my soul...

In the stillness today, Lord,
   help me know how near you are,
      how present you are to the whole of my life,
         my person, my mind, my heart, my soul...
Let me find joy in knowing that you love me
   in spite of how well you know me...


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day and a link to the Lenten series from which these daily posts originated.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!