5/31/12

Praying 10 minutes today: THURSDAY 5/31

Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths... be still  and know that God is near...

A word to reflect on:   
The law of the LORD is perfect, 
   refreshing the soul.
The decree of the LORD is trustworthy, 
   giving wisdom to the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, 
   rejoicing the heart.    - Psalm 19

In these quiet moments, Lord,
   I sometimes wonder, sometimes worry 
      about how faithful I am to your word, to your law.
I know I'm not perfect,
   so I wonder and worry about the times I wander away
      from your commandments, 
         from what you expect of me in living each day...
I know the times I've failed
   to follow the path you've asked me to walk...
I know the times I've chosen my way and will,
   closing my heart to yours... 
And I've known the times I've paid the price
   of judging my thoughts wiser than yours...

But I also know that when I pray, Lord,
   I'm more at peace than when I don't...
I know that when I try to live as you have asked
   my burdens become lighter and fewer...
I know that when I love you by loving those around me,
   (even when they don't make that easy)
there comes a serenity in being faithful
   to those who've not been faithful to me...
I know that when I reach out to those in need,
   putting their cares ahead of mine,
there comes a joy greater than
    in getting and having what I want...
I know that when I reverence
   the hearts, the bodies, the feelings of those around me
      (as I would have them respect my own)
there comes a freedom to be with one another
   and to trust the bonds we share...
I know that when I choose the truth, Lord,
   when I take the high road, 
      when I love what is good and do what is just,
there comes within the deep assurance
   I'm walking the path you'd have me take...
I know that when I desire to live by your law 
   and to trust your wisdom above my own,
you refresh my soul with your Spirit and
   with the courage I need to do what I must...

In this quiet time, today, Lord,
   help me ponder the law by which you call me to live...
Help me be honest in confessing
   the times I've been unfaithful...
Remind me of the peace, serenity and joy that come,
   the freedom, assurance and refreshment that are mine,
      when I'm faithful to you and to your Word...
Your law is perfect, Lord,
   and refreshes my soul when I keep it..
Your decrees are worthy of trust
  and bring wisdom to my simple ways...
Your commandments are true, Lord
   and my heart takes joy in keeping them...
Keep me faithful, Lord,
 for in fidelity to you I find the peace I seek...


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!