6/9/12

Praying 10 minutes today: SATURDAY 6/9

 
Find a quiet time and place to pray... 
take a few deep breaths... be still...
and know that God is near...

A word to reflect on:   
The way of the fool seems right
   in his own eyes,
but he who listens to advice is wise...
Proverbs 12


Lord, you see everything I do and fail to do
   and yet you pardon, forgive and call me your own...
So on account of your loving mercy
   I dare sit in the stillness here with you and ask,
      "When today will I play the fool, Lord?"

When today will I turn from your counsel
   and do what seems right in my own eyes?
When today will I ignore your word
   and follow what sounds better in my own mind?
When will my lazy side not bother to seek,
   to heed the wisdom you'll offer to guide
      my thoughts, my words, my deeds today?

It takes but a moment to step away from your path
   and walk, instead, the way that seems so right to me...
It takes but an instant to tune out your voice
   speaking within me and telling the truth...
It takes but a second to forget what I know to be right
   and choose what I know will please and ease my day...

(Help me remember, Lord:
   that foolishness leads to sin;
      that sin is damned foolishness...)

What a dunce am I to have in my heart
   your counsel, truth and advice,
      your word and law, your Spirit to guide me:
to have all this and still to play the fool
   and walk a path that leads to nowhere...

To have in my mind the wisdom of ages
   and yet to make the foolish choice,
knowing so well how this day's folly
   so easily becomes my pattern, my path...

So in the shade of your mercy I'm bold to ask,
   "When today, Lord, will I play the fool?"

And because you know so well how foolish I can be,
   I ask your pardon for my foolish ways
      and pray you'll open my mind and heart
         to advice your Spirit plants within me
            every single day...

Refresh my memory of what I've learned from your word,
   what I know from my own mistakes:
remind me of how my deepest peace has always come
   not from playing the fool
but from following where you lead
   wherever your path may take me...

The way of the fool seems right in her own eyes,
   but she who listens to advice is wise...

Let me see with your eyes, Lord, let me hear within
   what you would have me do
and help me find the peace that comes
   from living in your saving grace...

For this quiet time and place, I thank you, Lord...

In the stillness of my prayer
   help me trust that you are near
      with wisdom deep and strong;
   help me know that you are here, my God
      to forgive my foolish heart...


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!