6/19/12

Praying 10 minutes today: TUESDAY 6/19

Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
Jesus said: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.   - Matthew 6


So, I guess this would be a good time to ask,
   "Where's my heart?  Where's my treasure?
Right now, my heart's with you, Lord,
   here in this quiet time and place
      and I treasure the time we share...

But I know I have other "treasures" in my life
   and that's where my heart is very often found... 
It's these other treasures that occupy and consume
   my time and interest and affection...

Without these other treasures
   I'd more easily find 10 out of the day's 1,440 minutes
      to slow down, catch my breath 
         and just sit for a while with you...

There are too many days, Lord, when I find time
   for all my other treasures, 
but find myself too busy for the treasure I have in you...

Many treasures are truly good, helpful
   and of service to others 
but the gift of time alone with you 
   is the simplest and greatest of them all...

And some of my "treasures" are but glitter and bling,
   bright shiny objects that catch my eye,
      hook my imagination, distract me and waste my time...
And sometimes, Lord, the truth be told,
   such trash is what I "treasure" and, sadly, 
      where my heart is found...

There's true treasure and false,
   the real thing and fool's gold,
      diamonds and costume jewelry,
         gifts worth keeping and kitsch for pitching...

Give me the will to let go those "treasures" 
   that steal my heart away from what I really desire...

Counsel me to choose the treasure that rewards my heart
   with joy more than pleasure...

Grant me the wisdom to treasure only 
   what's good, pure and true...

Let me always be proud of what I treasure
   for wherever my treasure's found, there also is my heart...

Help me remember more clearly and faithfully       
   how much I treasure this time for prayer
         and the difference it makes in my life
            day by day and night by night...

My treasure map marks this place, Lord
   where you and I can meet...

The silence of these moments, a treasure in itself,
   is worth more than gold and doesn't cost a cent...

To find in my heart the treasure of your presence
   and the peace of your company is all I ask for now, Lord:
      be with me in the stillness, be the treasure of my day...

To ponder and pray over...
What are the top ten treasures in my life?  
Where is my heart?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?
(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!