7/28/12

Praying 10 minutes a day: SATURDAY 7/28


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
You set up mountains by your might.
You still the roaring of the seas,
   the roaring of the waves,
      the tumult of the peoples...
-Psalm 65





(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

Lord, the scriptures tell me how powerful you are:
   you put the mountains in their place;
   with only a word you quiet the ocean's roar;
      and at your glance
         the sea's roiling waves grow calm...
   you speak peace in your people's hearts
      and still the turmoil and tumult of nations...

Be powerful in my life, Lord,
   when I'm too weak, too small to do on my own 
      what you ask and require of me,
      what my responsibilities demand of me,
      what I want want and need to do
         to become the person you made me to be...

Will you move the mountains in my way?
Will you put them in their place?  clear a path for me?
Will you show me a valley of safe passage
   through the range of heights and peaks that loom before me?
You set up the mountains by your might, Lord,
   let them not stand, a barrier, between us...

With but a word will you quiet the ocean of confusion
   roaring through my mind and in my thoughts?
Will you hush the rush of noise distracting me
   from prayer, from peace, from your presence at my side?

With only a glance will you calm the waves that rock my boat
   and threaten my voyage through my life's straights? 
Will you smooth the seas capsizing my craft
   and extend your hand to pull me from the depths?

Will you still the turmoil that troubles my mind and heart,
   that shakes my confidence in you, in others -- in myself?
Will you speak your peace deep within my soul
   and give me grace to trust in your strong arm?

Will you show your power in my life, Lord?
Will you move, powerfully, in my life today?
Will you open my eyes and help me see  
   where you are, how you move, what you do?

In this time of prayer, Lord,
   let me know the safe path you mark for me to walk;
   let me hear a peaceful word to soothe my thoughts;
   let me know the calm your presence always brings...

In the stillness of these moments, Lord,
   give me a taste of the peace you offer
      night and day, day in and day out;
give my soul a hunger for your word
   and a thirst for your holy wisdom...

In my time with you in prayer, Lord,
   move with power in my heart
and let your strong arm and gentle hand
   support and guide me through the troubles of my day..
  
To ponder and pray over...
What's in my way today?  
What mountains make my path difficult?
What roars within my heart and mind? 
What peace and quiet do I long for?
What rocks my boat and threatens my journey?
How do I need the powerful help of the Lord - today?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)

Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!