7/3/12

Praying 10 minutes today: TUESDAY 7/3


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...



 A word to reflect on:   
Lord, hear my prayer;
   let my cry come to you.
Do not hide your face from me
   now that I am in distress...




I'm so grateful, Lord, for this time and place,
   the stillness and the quiet here, in prayer, with you...

I trust that you're here, by my side,
   and even if I don't see you, even if I can't see your face,
      I know I'm not alone, that you're with me...

Do you, indeed, hide your face from me, Lord?
Do you not want me to see you?
Would it be too much for me to see you face to face?
I know I'm not worthy of such a vision
   but neither am I worthy of your company, your love,
      your invitation to join you here in prayer... 

When can I see your face, O Lord?

I pray that when my days are finally done
   you'll welcome me into your presence
      and that I'll see you face to face:
         that I'll be welcomed into the light of your face,
            and in your light I'll see light as I've never seen it before...

But even now, Lord -
   what I wouldn't give for a glimpse of you,
      a moment to look into your eyes, to see your smile,
         to bask and bathe in the warmth of the light of your face,
               by which all other light is merely darkness...

If, right now, Lord, I could look into your eyes
   it would be easier to believe
      there's not a moment of any day or night
         when your your eye is not upon me,
            keeping watchful vigil over me and my life...

But deep within my heart, Lord, I know
   I couldn't bear now to see what one day will be mine
      in the place you've prepared for me in your Father's house.
I know my eyes can't now even begin to imagine
   the brightness, the brilliance of your face.
So I'm grateful for the ways you show yourself to me today,
   in the quiet, in my heart, in my prayer...

Even if now my eyes can't bear the power of your presence,
   let my heart see your heart
      opened wide to welcome me in;
   let my imagination envision you in the scriptures
      and imagine you sitting here with me in prayer;
   let my soul see your Spirit 
      moving always around and within me;
   let my mind's eye peer into your wisdom
      to see the word you have for me today...

Let me see you in the faces of those who cross my path today:
   in the faces of family and friends, neighbors and strangers,
      colleagues and companions
and let me see in all their faces even a trace
   of all the beauty your own face reveals...

Help me see your face at the Table, Lord:
   help me recognize you in the Bread and Cup
      of communion with you and with all who gather with me at the altar...

Let me see your face in the sun's rays,
   in the clouds' shapes, in the wind I cannot see 
      and in the swaying, bowing branches I do see...

Let me see your face in the innocence of children's smiles,
    in the tear stained cheeks of friends,
      in my elders' wrinkled brows,
         in the mystery of a stranger's face
            and in the eyes of those who love me...

However I might glimpse your face today, Lord,
   let me keep your image in my heart
      and store it deep within my soul.
Let me keep it like an old photo
   to refresh my memory when I cannot find your face
         - and when I'm afraid to show you mine...

Do not hide your face from me
   when I'm in distress...

 Especially when I'm troubled, Lord, show me
   the face of your love, the countenance of your strength,
      the visage of your kindness, the expression of your mercy,
         the features of your concern, the look of your compassion...

Do not hide your face from me, Lord,
   but find a way, find many ways to show yourself to me,
      to help me know that you are near, that you are here,
         that you are by my side...

Focus my mind, my heart, my soul and help me search you out, Lord:
   let nothing keep me from finding you and your face in my life, today
      for today is the day you have made and you will not fail, today,
         to show me your face and your love...

To ponder and pray over...
Do I want to see the Lord's face?
Am I afraid to meet him face to face?
When have I seen the Lord's face in others?
Where might I see his face today?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?
(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!