8/26/12

The long and short of Ephesians 5:21-32

Image source

I'm away on vacation so I had no preaching assignment on this day when the second lesson we heard was either a longer or shorter form of Ephesians 5:21-32.

This text comes round every three years and it's been a long while since I've directed that the longer form be proclaimed.  That's been my practice because the longer form gives rise to many questions given the contemporary context and I believe that unless the preacher intends to address those questions, it's wiser to use the shorter form.

Bishop Chris Coyne, Apostolic Administrator of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis, is one preacher who chose the longer form, the more challenging path, and did a fine job with it. Regardless of what you heard this weekend, you'll find his homily an instructive read.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

2 comments:

  1. Found this helpful, as well:

    http://liturgy.slu.edu/21OrdB082612/theword_indepth.html

    Len

    ReplyDelete
  2. we used the shorter form in my parish-
    personally, I think I prefer the shorter form, because of some of the changes in words, etc-
    it just seems a bit easier (more gentle, maybe?) to say and hear...

    but, I believe the preacher (at the 10:30 Mass) did an excellent job addressing many questions- (for the longer and/or shorter forms)

    (...and an even more excellent job (to all) considering the audio technical difficulties we had)

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!