10/18/12

Praying 10 minutes today: FRIDAY 10/19


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
My mouth shall speak wisdom,
   my heart shall offer insight...

- Psalm49






(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

If I might place an order, Lord,
   I'll take at least as much wisdom as my mind will hold
      and insight enough to fill, spill and overflow my heart,
         a river of foresight, flooding its banks...

My foolish thoughts, my thoughtless words,
   my mindless deeds - all
reveal my need for wisdom greater than my own
   and born of a prudence deeper than any
      my impetuous self might possibly supply...

Left to my own devices, Lord,
   I can play the fool and stumble, tumbling through the day,
trampling on your will and on the hearts and good intentions
   of those along my path..

I need your wisdom, Lord, because without it
   I'm a fool to think that what I think and say and do
      has roots to reach much deeper
         than my wants, my needs, my whims...

It's not that I'm stupid, Lord - you've given me a brain -
   and so I know I'm smart enough to see how wise I'm not
      and wise enough to know how foolish I can be...

Your mouth speaks wisdom, Lord,
   and your words ring in my ears and in my mind
     with counsel, caution and a clarity that shines only
         when truth is at its source...

You offer me wisdom, Lord:
   give me the insight I need to know her when she comes my way,
      to welcome her into my heart,
         and to distinguish her counsel from my own selfish ways...

My mouth shall speak wisdom,
   my heart shall offer insight...

And my heart needs the gift of insight, Lord,
   lest I trip and fall without discerning, seeing, knowing
      where leads the path I walk
And where along its way
   might be the stumbling blocks, the potholes,
      the shoulders soft with ease and pleasure but
         and yet too weak to hold beneath my step...

I need your vision, Lord, to view the world around me
   and to see it from your heart;
to see my life, my wants and needs as you do
   and to know the plan you have and all you ask
      of the life you've given me to live...

I need insight, Lord, to understand, to know, to love
   how you are at the heart of all that lives,
that at the heart of every truth there lives your Word
   and that the Word you speak is truth to guide me on my way...

Insight, yes, but I need hindsight, too,
   for understanding whence I've come, how I've become
      the person who I am and what has shaped and misshaped
          my will and all my heart's desires...

Insight, hindsight, yes, Lord - and foresight,
   to know and accept the path on which you chart my journey,
      the life to which you call me, the hope with which you help me
         face this day, this night - and the day that's yet to dawn...

You offer me insight, Lord:
   give me the wisdom I need to see with your eyes,
      to see you in all that's true and beautiful,
         to see your hand in every day,
            to see that you are with me, always...

My mouth shall speak wisdom,
   my heart shall offer insight...

In this time of prayer, Lord, 
   help me hear the wisdom you speak to my heart:
      may your wisdom shape my thoughts, my words and deeds
         and lead me to the truth that helps me know your will...

In the stillness of my prayer, Lord,
   fill my heart to overflowing with insight born of yours
to help me find and know and understand
   how you would have me live and grow today,
   how you would shape my life today
      for living in your love tomorrow...
  
My mouth shall speak wisdom,
   my heart shall offer insight...
 
To ponder and pray over...
Where's the foolishness in my thoughts and words and deeds?
Where's my need for wisdom and for prudence?
What in my life, today, needs a word of wisdom from God?
Am I a person of insight?  
Do I try to see from my heart, as the Lord sees from his?
Insight, hindsight, foresight: what do I need the most?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!