10/8/12

Praying 10 minutes today: TUESDAY 10/9


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
My soul is depressed, Lord;
   lift me up according to your word...

- Psalm 119






(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

Perhaps it's not the case today, Lord,
   but there are times, there are seasons
     when my soul's depressed...

Sometimes my heart is heavy
   and hope seems very scarce...

Some days are shrouded in sadness
   and all I want to do is hide from others,
      from you and even from myself...

Some nights are darker than the skies above
   as I wait for the breaking light of dawn
       - and in fear of what it might expose...

When my soul's depressed, Lord,
   I want to pull the shades on every window
      and hide beneath the covers
         from every eye that might meet mine...

Perhaps not today, Lord,
   but there are times, indeed, 
     when my soul's depressed...

When those days, those seasons come,
   will you lift me up, Lord?

Will you reach out your hand to mine
   and with your strong arm pull me up
      and out of the forest of my fears,
      the traps of my self-doubt,
      the blues that haunt my heart?

When my soul's depressed, Lord;
   lift me up according to your word...

Lift me up with a word of faith
   to help me trust in your presence,
      in your desire to free me from my fears...

Lift me up with a word of love
   to help me see within my self
      the beauty of your image dwelling in my soul...

Lift me up with a word of hope
   to cut the darkness with your light
      and help me trust the peace you offer...

Lift me up with a word of light
   to help me know where you would lead me
      and what you ask of me this day...

Lift me up with a word of healing
   to soothe the ache within my soul,
      the hurt within my heart, the chill deep in my bones...

Lift me up with a word of trust
   in those who counsel me, who care for me
      and guide me through my darkness...

Lift me up with a word of peace
   to free my soul from all that troubles me
       and locks me in my fears...

Lift me up with a word of wisdom
   to clear my mind of doubt and all that keeps me
      from trusting in your promise...

Lift me up with a word of strength
   when I am weak and cannot move
      for fear of stumbling and somehow failing...

Lift me up with a word of mercy
   to refresh my heart, my soul, my spirit
      in the grace that only you can give...

Lift me up with a word of wonder
   to open my mind and heart again
      to believe in you and in your love for me...

Lift me up with a word of courage
   to help me speak what's in my heart today
      and take the steps that lead where I need to go...

Lift me up with a word of joy
   to kindle in my heart the trust I need
      to open up to friendship, care and love...

Lift me up with a word that comes from you to me,
   to help me trust you know my name, my heart
      and what I need to live and love...

Lift me up with a word of power
   to raise my soul from its lonely depths,
      to lighten my heart and bring me joy...

Lift me up, Lord!

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord,
   strengthen my faith even as I'm giving up;
   show me how to hope in you when I'm in despair;
   help me know your love and care for me
      in times when I despise myself...
 
Fill the quiet of my prayer with your peaceful presence
   and my heart with faith and trust that you can do all things:
      that you can do what I fear can't be done;
      that you can heal what I fear can't be healed;
      that you'll forgive what I fear won't be pardoned;
      that you can give what I fear I'll never have;
      that you can change
         what I fear will never change within me or about me...

Reach out your hand to mine, Lord,
   and with your strong arm pull me up
      and out of the forest of my fears,
      the traps of my self-doubt,
      the blues that haunt my heart...

Lift me up, Lord,
   according to your word!

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord,
   open my lips to praise and thank you
       for what I've prayed thus far
          and for your helping me to pray...

Lift me up, Lord, according to your word... 

To ponder and pray over...
When my "heart is heavy and hope is very scarce,"
   do I turn to the Lord in prayer?
Do I ask the Lord to lift me up when I'm down?
Do I turn to the Lord's word when I'm depressed?
Do I trust that God can do all things
   and that God desires to heal me and bring me peace?
Do I trust in others who love and care for me
   when I'm down and depressed?
What word from the Lord might I need to lift me up today?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!