11/4/12

Prayer before voting


Image: George Mendoza 

NOTE: I posted this "prayer before voting" last Monday morning and after a little more work on it, I included it in my parish bulletin yesterday. I know I'm going to use it in the hours before the election and thought you might also find it helpful.   By virtue of our faith as Christians, we have a responsibility and obligation to participate in the democratic process by voting.  As with all important tasks and events in life, it's more than appropriate to prepare for the election with prayer.   My homily from yesterday also includes a prayer to offer before going to the polls.  Once again, these posts are offered for a spiritual, not a political purpose.    
 
Good morning, good God!    
 
The election is tomorrow, Lord,
and I was wondering: if you were a candidate
- would you be elected?      

I know if you were running for office, Lord,
you'd campaign with open and transparent honesty:  
no need for fact-checking your statements and press releases!     

Your campaign promises would be many:
life for those who respect and reverence it;
peace for those who work for it;
justice for the oppressed;
pardon for those who freely forgive;
opportunity and work for all who seek it;
casting the mighty from their thrones
and filling the hungry with good things…     

Your platform would be flawless:
laws rooted in truth;
freedom bound by responsibility;
and justice tempered with mercy...   

Your policies would be grounded
in an unapologetic preference and care 
for the defenseless innocent:  
for those waiting to be born and their mothers;
for the sick and the elderly;
for the poor, the marginalized, the refugee and the stranger;
and for victims of power, arrogance and greed...  

But I know your name won't be on the ballot, Lord,
so I ask you to be with me as I study the candidates
and their policies, platforms and promises
- and decide for whom I’ll cast my vote…     

Open my mind to all sides of the issues
lest I vote uninformed on matters of poverty and prosperity,
peace and war, life and death, rights and responsibilities...     

Help me see through the ads and the hype
lest I vote on the basis of looks and appearances,
polls and campaign promises...   

Give me counsel to choose wisely
when the choices fail to offer what I seek and expect
of those who might govern your people…   

Make me a discerning disciple, Lord: 
empower me to cast my ballot
as my faith, intelligence, conscience
and the truth of your Word lead me to vote...     

On the eve of the election I offer you my heart:
inscribe on it your word of truth
in letters gospel-wide and bold enough for me to clearly see...     

I offer you my mind, Lord:
bathe my thoughts in wisdom ever ancient, ever new
and show me the path of your truth...   

I offer you my will, Lord:
bend, shape, mold and nurture it
with the power of your grace and conform it 
to your heart's desire... 

I offer you my vote, Lord:
may it be a good decision, may it speak a just word,
may it hasten your reign of peace
and bring life and liberty for all...     

All this I pray, Lord, 
and I ask in return the gift of your Spirit
to counsel, guide and enlighten me...     

Amen.

(For an archive of previous Monday Morning Offerings
check here or click on the coffee cup at the top of the sidebar...)  
 
  

       
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!