12/6/12

Praying 10 minutes today: FRIDAY 12/7


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
Then the wolf shall be a guest of the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid;
The calf and the young lion 
   shall browse together,
      with a little child to guide them.
The cow and the bear shall be neighbors,
    together their young shall rest;
       the lion shall eat hay like the ox.


The baby shall play by the cobra's den,
    and the child lay his hand on the adder's lair.
There shall be no harm or ruin on all my holy mountain;
    for the earth shall be filled with knowledge of the LORD,
       as water covers the sea.          - Isaiah 11

(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture above...)

Lions and leopards and bears, O my!

So many things to fear, Lord,
   so many fears in my life:
      fear of the past, fear of the present, fear of the future...

Some fears are so real, Lord, 
   but others, well, sometimes I'm afraid I fear fear itself...

What I yesterday feared would happen today - hasn't,
   but the fear, unrealized, remains: "Well, maybe tomorrow..."

But yesterday's now history
   and tomorrow's far beyond my reach:
      I only have today and this day I have you
         and your presence, strength and consolation...
The prophet envisions the taming of what I might fear 
   and the peace you will make, even in nature,
when all things are one, reconciled gently, 
   in the reign of your mercy and grace...

Though wolves and lambs might not yet be the best of friends,
   you invite me even now to meet my fears 
      and know that by your side there's nothing I can't face,
   that with your help I'll see through fear to strength
      and walk, my head held high, with surety 
         that nothing in my day or night can overpower me
            when you're the shepherd of my soul...

Nourish my imagination, Lord, with visions of the peace 
   you promise and provide for those who trust your word and grace...

Fill my heart with hope for peace that settles in my heart
   the fears that stalk and haunt me;
free my anxious thoughts from all that binds and keeps me  
   from the joy that you would give to me today...

Let the peace you promise find a home within me:
   let no harm or ruin come to shake my faith and trust in you...

Let me dwell upon your holy mountain,
   let my heart be filled with knowledge of your truth
      and your love be the measure of my courage...

So many things to fear, Lord,
   so many fears in my life:
      fear of the past, the present and the future.
But yesterday's now history
   and tomorrow's far beyond my reach:
      I only have today and this day I have you
         and your presence, strength and consolation...

When I'm inclined and tempted to dwell in my fears,
   give me a vision, Lord, a dream, a hope,
      a glimpse of peaceful days and restful nights... 

Help me see, as with Isaiah's eyes, a vision
   of the time when all my fears are tamed
      and all's at peace within me and around me...
In the quiet of my prayer, let me see my fears
   in the light of your desire to help and save me;
let nothing shake my trust in you
   but keep me in your heart guard me with your love...

In the stillness of my prayer, 
   show me the peace that's mine already, 
      the peace that comes when you set your seal upon me
         and make your home within me...

To ponder and pray over...
What fears do I carry with me day to day?
Am I afraid of fear?
Is anything I fear stronger than the Lord?
Do my fears keep me from knowing the joy of God in my life?
Do I desire to be set free from my fears? 
What fear will I pray to be freed of today?  
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments


1 comment:

  1. when I tried to read this prayer this morning, my many fears and anxieties got in the way- distracted me-
    prevented me from focusing and understanding-

    I am thankful to be reading this tonight, with at least a little bit of calmness and a hope for peace in my heart-

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!