12/3/12

Praying 10 minutes today: TUESDAY 12/4


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
I wait for you, O Lord;
   I lift up my soul to my God…
Show me your ways, Lord,
   teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me
   for you are God my savior…
- Psalm 25



 (Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

I wait for you, Lord,
   I wait for you in so many ways…

I wait for you to hear my prayer and answer me,
   especially for you to answer me
      just the way I hope you will
         and on my schedule, too…

I wait for you to calm my fears, my anxious heart,
   my troubled soul…

I wait for you to help me find some peace of mind…

I wait for you to reveal yourself,
   to show me your face
      and let its light shine full upon my own…

I wait for you, O Lord,
   to you, I lift up my soul…

I wait for you to speak to me,
   to speak a word I understand,
      a word my heart can grasp,
         a word that heals and mends
            a word that brings me peace…

I wait to hear a word from you that tells me
   where to turn, the path to take,
      the direction I should go…

I wait to find your truth, Lord:
   the truth to set me free from all that holds me
       in confusion, fear and doubt…

I wait to find your presence in my daily rounds:
   in my life’s most ordinary moments;
      in the people, times and places
         where I least expect but need to find you
            in the simple grace of bumping into you along my way…

I wait for you, O Lord,
   to you, I lift up my soul…

I wait to know the mercy your heart has in store for mine:
   the forgiveness of my sins, the cleansing of my soul,
      the refreshing of my spirit and the gift of knowing
         how you never fail to call me to begin again, anew:
            my slate wiped clean, my heart now freshly pardoned,
               healed and mended…

I wait for you, Lord,
   when I’m not even sure why I still wait…

But then I wait some more
   for in the waiting I begin to see you in the dark,
      to hear you in the silence
            and to know your face and presence,
       to know your loving touch in the care of those around me,
          whose hearts and hands are yours - day in, day out…

I wait for you, O Lord,
   to you, I lift up my soul…
           
I wait for you, Lord,
   and I know, I trust you wait for me…

You wait for me when I’m lazy in my prayer,
   when I spend my time on nonsense and find no time
      to sit with you, and listen for your word…

You wait for me while I wander where I will
   and pay no heed to where your Spirit calls and draws me…

You wait when I’m convinced that I know more than you,
   that somehow I have reached a wisdom greater than your own…

You wait for me when jealous thoughts fill my heart’s desire
   and I lose sight of all the gifts and graces offered in your love
      that bless my nights and days…

You wait for me when I lose patience and make no time
   for you and those who love me,
      who are most deserving of my time, my care, my kindness…

And even when I sin, Lord, when I fail your love for me
   and fail the love I owe my neighbor,
      you wait for me with mercy,
   wait until my prodigal heart comes to its senses
      and with your Spirit’s help, begins the journey home to you…

I wait for you, O Lord,
   to you, I lift up my soul…

In the quiet of my Advent prayer,
   I wait for you and you wait for me…
  
Let us meet in the stillness, Lord:
   I wait for you to share with me
      your way, your path, your truth…

I wait for you, O Lord,
   to you, I lift up my soul…
 
To ponder and pray over...
How do I wait for the Lord in my life?
What do I wait for in prayer?
Is my waiting sometimes impatient? 
How does the Lord wait for me? 
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!