12/21/12

Where the music takes me...



Time for a little Advent confession here...

Around this time of the year I have a weakness for listening to music I know will lead me down a path where things are mostly blue - except the sky...

Why do I listen to this music? Why do I walk that path?

I suppose now and then it's a matter of feeling sorry for myself, a curious thing because I don't have much to feel bad about and certainly have so much more to be grateful for... Of course, sometimes I miss the latter for the former... More often, I hope, I follow the music because I know it takes me to places I need to visit but often avoid...

The music becomes my companion along the way and proves itself a faithful guide... The melody knows our destination and the way there, showing no fear of the journey...

 I find strength in that...

The velvet sound beckons me to places I easily avoid or, worse, ignore... places to visit, understand, heal and befriend... The tunes give gentle voice to silenced places within, places to find, not hide from... places to approach and visit...

Like a pied piper, Kenny G's sweet sax seduces me to within touching distance of corners and crevices in my heart where dwell loves and losses, known and unknown, some as old as I can remember, some new this year...

If the child of Bethlehem will touch the "hopes and fears of all my years," I will know it in my heart of hearts where he lives and waits for me in the jumble of all that has been my life... in the places where the sad-sweet sounds draw me... places for healing and peace...

Perhaps that's why I listen to this music at this time of year... to know my heart and the One who lives there...

Is there a musical sound, a song that leads you to the same places?

Here's a Kenny G piece from Miracles: The Holiday Album

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Kenny G on Grooveshark  


 
       
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you post about this. I was just thinking yesterday about Christmas songs I try to avoid because they make me feel blue. Certain songs remind me of my late mother and Christmas of the past. Other songs remind me of more recent past when my grown daughters were babies. You're right...its probably a good thingt to face these feelings because the past is an important part of who I have become and has led me to a happy fulfilling life. Thanks! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!