1/4/13

Praying 10 minutes today: FRIDAY 1/4


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
The Lord says:
Remember not the events of the past,
   the things of long ago consider not;
See, I am doing something new!
Now it springs forth, 
   do you not perceive it?
In the wilderness I make a way,
   in the wasteland, rivers.  
                              - Isaiah 43

(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

 These are good, strong words to pray with, Lord,

   especially as a new year begins...

Help me let go the memories of the past
   that haunt my dreams and cloud my soul... 

Help me forget what remembering neither helps nor heals:
   clear my mind and heart of whatever holds me back
      and drags me down...

Help me not dwell on the disappointments and hurt
   that sour my spirit and keep me from joy...

Sweep from my memory what keeps me from seeing
   that you're at my side, that you reach for my hand,
      that you guide all my steps, that you lead me to peace...

Do something new, Lord!
Do something new within me, in the depths of my soul,
   in the corners of my mind, in my heart of hearts...

Do something new for me, Lord,
   and keep me from getting in the way 
      of what you do, what you offer me, 
      what you hold out for me to have,
      what you place in my lap, what you leave at my door:
         all the ways you enter my life every day...

Do something new for me, Lord,  
   and give me the grace to accept it, 
      even if at first I don't understand it;   
      even if at first it seems a bad fit;
      even if at first, I fear it; 
      even if at first I don't like it;
      even if at first I refuse it...

Do something new for me, Lord,
   and help me trust you'll do nothing
      apart from what helps me and heals me,
      what frees and redeems me,
      what stretches and strengthens me...

Do something new for me, Lord,
   and let me perceive it, help me to see it;
   let me feel it and know it deep in my bones;
   help me be sure that it comes from you
      and leads me to you;
   let nothing keep me from giving myself to it,
      whatever it is, Lord - something new you do for me...

Make your way, Lord, into the wilderness of my heart,
   into the wasteland of my selfishness,
   into the wild places in need of taming,
   into the brush that needs to be cleared,
   into the desert waiting for the river of your mercy
      to flood with peace and refresh my soul...

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord, help me let go
   the things of the past that keep me from you
      and your pardon, your peace 
         and the power of your grace...

In the stillness, Lord, help me know your presence
   and perceive how you move in the quiet,
      bringing new gifts, doing new things, 
         moving my heart in new ways...
 
To ponder and pray over...
It's a new year: 
what "new thing" might the Lord want to do in my life?
Is there something new I pray the Lord will do in my life?
Is there "old stuff" that needs to be swept from my mind and heart?
Into what parts of my heart might the Lord make his way
   in the new year ahead?
What in my life needs to be refreshed
   by the Lord's river of mercy?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?


(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!