3/10/13

Monday Morning Offering - 230


Coffee in the Morning by George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

So, Lent’s half over
and Easter's only three weeks away...

I should be at least half-prepared, 
half-ready to celebrate Easter
-- but I’m not...

Beginning with Ash Wednesday I was doing really well,
right up 'til, oh,
maybe the First Sunday of Lent:
I know, Lord, that was only 4 days!

So, I offer you my sketchy record here
and ask you to forgive
my unkept Lenten pledges…

I offer you my lack of self-discipline,

recognizing how I excuse myself so easily…
I offer you my flimsy promises,
all made with firm intentions
but failing in the follow-through…

I offer you my laziness,
hoping you'll forgive me
and accept my renewed pledge
to pray more often, to sacrifice
and reach out to the poor…

Such is my offering, Lord:
help me depend and lean on your help
and not try to do this all on my own…

Be with me, Lord,
and be my strength
in every temptation…

When I put off prayer,
draw me to a quiet place and sit me down
to be with you, to speak with you,
to rest in your presence…

When I’m tempted to indulge myself
on what I’ve given up for Lent,
remind me of my pledge
and the reason for it:
an opportunity to fill my mind and heart
with the nourishment of your word and truth…

When I spend first on myself,
when I consume more than my share
and more than I need:
show me how very much I have
and where and how I have too much
and help me be generous
with those who have little
or nothing at all…

And if I’ve failed from the beginning
to make any efforts in prayer, fasting and sacrifice,
let today be my “Ash Monday,”
let this day be the first of Lent for me:
this is the day you’ve made, Lord,
the day on which you hear my prayer…

Remind me, Lord,
that I don't walk the Lenten path alone:
help me be kind and gentle
with those whose paths cross mine this day
and this week...

Lord,
I offer you my renewed (or my new) Lenten pledge,
and pray you'll strengthen my resolve,
deepen my commitment and keep me faithful
to you and my preparing to celebrate your Rising…

Amen.





   
 Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Ive had a few slip ups so far. I think this just helped put me back on track and also go gentler on myself. Will be revisiting before bed tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!