6/9/13

Monday Morning Offering: June 10


Image: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

There are times, Lord,
driving down I-95,
when after a stretch of miles I realize
I've not been watching the road
or its twists and turns;
I've not paid attention to other cars
or trucks or cruisers;
and yet somehow I've made my way here,
from somewhere way back there,
without ending up in a ditch - or worse...

I might have been listening to music 
or sorting through my roaming thoughts,
toying with ideas tooling through my mind
or just quietly moving down the highway
in the silence of the chapel of my car...

What part of me was watching,
attending to the traffic all around me,
as I made my way, not losing my way,
from somewhere way back there
'til I snapped to here, to the present, 
to this moment, now, with you?

Or was it me at all, Lord?  
Was it me at the wheel or you, my copilot,
safely steering me through danger
and keeping me from doing harm to others
who share my journey and a common road?

Or perhaps it was your Spirit, guiding me
when I was all but blind to curves and signs
to exits that I might have, should have, could have,
did or didn't take... 

As on the highway, so in my soul 
you ride beside me, Lord,
protecting me along the way and getting me
from where I was, past peril I fail to see,
to where I'm going:
to where I need, to where you want,
for me to be...

I offer you my thanks for what you do
when  I'm not looking, Lord,
when I'm nodding off in life, 
paying no attention
when I should be wide awake...

I offer you my thanks for your direction, Lord,
for the many times you nudge and prod
and sometimes grab the wheel and steer me
from harm's way to keep me on the path of life
you've charted for my travel...

I offer you my thanks, Lord, for moments of awareness, 
of coming to, of finding that I've got from way back there
to here and that without your presence, your help,
your Spirit and your hand upon the wheel,
I never would have made it safe thus far... 

Stay by my side, Lord, and be my compass, my map,
my GPS, the atlas of the roads where life might take me
and help me know and show me where I need to be
and where I need to go, to stay right by your side
and never leave the path you've mapped out for my peace...

Lord, receive this offering of my morning prayer
and let my journey do no harm to those
with whom I share your road today, tonight
and through the week ahead...

Amen.




     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!