6/20/13

Pause for Prayer: FIRST DAY OF SUMMER 6/21

Image: EntreatMeNot

For the first day of summer, 
a longer than usual Pause for Prayer...
 
Summer in New England is certainly one of the greatest of all God’s gifts.  How important, then, to make sure that a summer vacation isn't time off from the One who gave us such a beautiful season.  As school is ending, this weekend might be a good time to invite the Lord to spend the summer with us.  Whether you live in New England or not, whether it's summertime in your part of the world or winter, will you pray with me? 

Come summer with me, Lord: summer deep down in my soul…   
Let the warmth, the joy, the light of summer days seep 
deep into my heart and bless me with your presence…

Let these summer days fill my need
for leisure, laziness and play...

Let the summer restore my faith in all things
beautiful, simple, given and divine...

Let this summer restore my faith in you, Lord... 

Come summer with me, Lord: summer deep down in my soul…
Help me put the brakes 
on the merry-go-round-go-nowhere rush of the life I lead...
 
Summer in my heart and dwell there, Lord,
as though these days will never end, 
as if all time were child’s time, eternal time, 
when school is always out and joy is ever in…

Help me find a peaceful pace 
so I can hear the words that your heart speaks to mine…

Slow me down and let the summer's doldrums lull, calm 
and call me to a place of prayer, of meeting you again 
as if bumping into an old friend,
  strolling the streets of my vacation…

Come summer with me, Lord: summer deep down in my soul…
If I have a chance to get away,
help me pack just what I need and leave all else behind;
help me leave my work at work 
and leave at home the complicating clutter of my life;
help me keep things just as simple as I can, 
making room for you and me to be together…

And if I find myself tied down by burdens, cares and worries, 
then clear a place and make a time each day for me to rest
and join you in the shade that you provide for me 
beneath my troubles’ noonday sun…

Send the Spirit of your peace 
to tame and quiet any chaos in my mind and in my heart…

Let me waste no summer time that’s mine 
for rest and for refreshing body, mind and soul... 

Come summer with me, Lord: summer deep down in my soul…  


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!