3/24/14

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 3/25

Annunciation by Tanner

(Be patient with the intro here: it sets a context and leads to some beautiful music and today's prayer...)

On the Church calendar, March 25 is the Solemnity of the Annunciation.  What's that?  Well, if you count 9 months from today you'll find yourself on December 25 - the Nativity of the Lord.  Today's feast celebrates the moment when, with the message from the angel Gabriel, Mary conceived the Christ Child in her womb.  Here's how Luke's gospel tells the story:

The angel Gabriel was sent to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin's name was Mary.  And coming to her, the angel said, "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you." But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High... 


Here are three musical settings of that scripture in the song, Gabriel's Message, by Sting, Kelly Westenra and Chanticleer. Today's Pause for Prayer, for hearts waiting for a message of God's peace, follows the music. 

Gabriel's Message by austin fleming on Grooveshark


Waiting for an angel's message
Sometimes, Lord,
my heart aches for a message,
looks for an angel, 
strains and listens for
a much-needed word from you...

My heart waits 
to hear what you might speak 
to my life and my worries,
my fears and confusion,
my decisions and choices... 

My heart waits 
for tidings of encouragement,
for a word of wisdom and counsel
to strengthen and empower me,
to guide my way and guard me...

My heart waits to hear you say,
Don't be afraid... I am with you...
I am always with you... I will never leave you...
I am beside you, before you and behind you,
above you, below you, within you...

My soul strains to hear you say:
I've found favor with you...
I care for you... I care about you...
I watch for you... I watch out for you...
You have a place in my heart,
a place I keep for you,
where I hold you...

Send an angel, a message, a word, Lord,
and speak to my heart...

Speak to me as you spoke to Mary:
when I'm not expecting you...
when I'm confused and don't understand...
what I'm not sure what you're asking of me...
when I'm afraid of what tomorrow may bring...

Fill my heart with your grace, Lord,
that I might see every angel you send my way
and hear every word you speak to my heart,
that I might welcome and treasure
each message of your love...

Amen.



 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!