4/22/14

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 4/21

Photo by Marcy Cunkelman

This past winter was a long one and spring took its own sweet time before finally pulling into town.  Along with others, I did my own share of complaining about the snow and the cold while I waited for
longer, warmer days and a greening of the landscape.  Well, spring is here, just in time for Easter, and a new season's budding, growing, unfolding all around me.  It struck me yesterday afternoon that my springtime gratitude doesn't nearly measure up to all my wintry longing and complaint.  Have I taken the season's change for granted?  Have I imagined I'm owed this better weather?  Have I thanked God that sooner or later the promise of spring is always kept?

Of course there's much more spring to come: even warmer days, gardens in bloom, green fields and flowering trees.  But I'm grateful for this first, if tardy blush of April's gift and for sureties like spring that never disappoint.

I ask for a lot, Lord, and I complain
when I think you've been slow
to hear my prayer and answer me
just the way I want...

And often I'm not satisfied
when you send hints and buds of promise
telling me: you're on the case,
you've heard my plea,
that you're answering my prayer
in your wisdom and good time...

Open up my eyes to see
the ways you slowly, surely move
within my heart and in my days:
help me notice every sign
of how you're with me,
how you're walking by my side,
how you're answering my prayers...

Keep me grateful for the gifts you've given
and mindful of the ways you keep your word
to guard and guide me, keeping and holding me
within the palm of your own hand...

Give me a grateful heart, Lord,
for all I have and all you promise me,
especially the gift of your abiding love...


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!