7/6/14

Monday Morning Offering: 7/7

Image: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray...

I believe you listen when I pray:
I believe your heart hears my heart, Lord,
even when my heart is silent...

I believe you love a prayer as simple
as the prayer of my "showing up" to pray...

I believe you're pleased every time
my heart, my imagination and attention turn, 
if only for seconds, 
to you...

I'm grateful, Lord, for the ways you catch my glance,
my momentary nod in your direction,
my heart's secret wink 
to let you know you're on my mind, 
that I'm glad you're near,
that I want you by my side... 

Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray... 

I'm grateful, Lord, for how you never tire
of hearing my tales of woe, 
of wiping away my tears,
of listening again and again
even when I can't find just the words to bring to speech
what I truly want to say,
what I really need to pray... 

I know there's not a thought I have
that comes as news to you, Lord...

I know there's not a word I pray
you didn't expect to hear...
I know you hear my wordless prayer
when my lips don't make a sound...

And yet you never turn from me
in boredom or frustration, 
but rather 
you bend ever closer,
to hear my every plea...
I believe in your presence, Lord, 
I trust you're there to hear every word I say
and the words that echo in my heart
but fail to make it to my lips...

I know that sometimes, Lord, 
my prayer is stumbling, awkward, selfish,
rote, distracted and disjointed -
but even then, Lord, please listen to me anyway!
Help me keep my prayer simple,
my mind and heart attuned, 
focused on you, even as I lay before you 
all my needs and the needs of those who've asked me
to keep them in my prayer...

Just want to say thanks this morning, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray...

Keep me faithful to your Spirit,
always calling me to prayer;
help me never be afraid to share with you
whatever's on my mind and in my heart;
help me understand your answer to my prayer,
especially when the answer's no, or slow in coming
or when your response is silence,
at least for now...

Just want to say thanks, Lord,
for your always being there,
every time I come to pray:
this morning, this day and through the week ahead...


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!