3/23/15

St. Luke, Concord Pastor and Sting: UPDATED!

Annunciation by Tanner

On the Church calendar, WEDNESDAY  (March 25) is the Feast of the Annunciation. What's that?  Well, if you count 9 months from today you'll find yourself on December 25 - Christmas and the birth of Jesus.  This feast celebrates the moment when, with the message from the angel Gabriel, Mary conceived the Christ Child in her womb.  Here's how Luke's gospel tells the story:
The angel Gabriel was sent to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin's name was Mary.  And coming to her, the angel said, "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you." But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High... 
So, here's a prayer in the spirit of tomorrow's feast, followed by the gospel story told in the song Gabriel's Message, performed here by Sting, Kelly Westenra and Chanticleer.
Sometimes, Lord,
my heart aches for a message,
looks for an angel, 
strains and listens for
a much-needed word from you...

My heart waits to hear what you speak
to my life and my worries,
my fears and confusion,
my decisions and choices... 

My heart waits 
for tidings of encouragement
and for a word of wisdom and counsel
to strengthen and empower me,
to guide my way and guard me...

My heart waits to hear you say,
Don't be afraid... I'm with you...
I'm always with you... I'll never leave you...
I'm beside you, before you and behind you,
above you, below you, within you...

My soul strains to hear you say:
You've found favor with me...
I care for you... I care about you...
I watch out for you...
I keep a place in my heart for you,
a place to hold you...
Send me an angel, Lord:
come speak in my heart
the word I need to hear...

Speak to me as you did to Mary:
   when I'm not expecting you...
   when I'm confused and don't understand...
   when I'm not sure what you want of me...
   when I'm afraid of what tomorrow may bring...

Fill my heart with your grace, Lord,
to help me welcome every messenger
who comes to speak your word to me,
the word you know I need to hear...

Amen.
Gabriel's Message by austin fleming on Grooveshark


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!