12/20/15

Monday Morning Offering: 12/21

Coffee in the Morning by George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

Well, there are only 3 shopping days left ‘til your birthday, Lord…

Gotta start thinking about what to get
"for the God who has everything."

So, what can I give you?

What could you possibly want from me?

I know, I know!
What you want from me
are the things I hang on to, cling to,
the things I don’t want to let go of,
all the things and people and situations 

that get in the way between you and me,

So, for your birthday, Lord, I want to offer you
(or at least try to offer you)
the things I know I need to let go...

Help me let go the ways
I keep myself from your love for me,
the ways I run from the truth
that you love me with no strings attached...

I offer you the times I downplay, deny and waste 

my gifts and talents:
help me see how wonderful and unique
is the person you made me to be,
help me believe that you take delight in me...

Lord, help me let go my envy
and all the ways I focus on what others have
and all the times I forget what you have given me…


Keep me from jealous thoughts
and open my eyes to the treasures
I have at my fingertips,
especially the treasure of your love

and that of family and friends...

I offer you tendency 

to take myself too seriously:
give me a healthy sense of humor, Lord,
and help me laugh at myself

when I need to...

Help me out of my moody sulking, Lord:
when I banish myself to lonely places,
draw me out of myself, into your arms

and into the arms of others...

And help me let go, Lord,

of people and relationships 
that just aren't helpful or healthy for me:
help me let go of folks
who hold me back and keep me from growing...
 

I offer you my better instincts, Lord
my graced intuitions,
the ones I so easily dismiss
when I mistrust my own judgment:
give me courage to speak and to act
on the truth I know within…

I offer you the best of who I am,
the person you created me to be,
the unique individual you knew and loved
even before you knit me in my mother’s womb…

I offer you the unknown, untried, unused portions
of my heart, my soul, my mind, my imagination:
make of me the person you intended, Lord,
and use my life to touch others
as others’ lives touch mine…
 

And, Lord, help me let go anything that leads me to think
that I have nothing to offer
or that what I have to offer isn't good enough:
let the light of your advent shine on me
and show me every gift you’ve given me, large and small,
and especially the gift of your love…

I offer you anything and everything
that keeps me from knowing
how much you love me, Lord
and how precious I am in your eyes…

And, Lord – help me to find in others
the precious beauty I know you see in them...

Such are the gifts I can offer you this Christmas, Lord:
be patient with me 

even if I need a whole new year
to truly hand them over to you...

I know that you have everything, Lord

and there's nothing you really need from me:
accept my little offerings, my gifts
and my gratitude 

that everything you have and cherish 
includes me, my soul, my heart and my life...

Amen.




 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!