7/2/16

Pause for Prayer: 7/2

Image source

On this national holiday, between the barbecues and fireworks, let's take some time to recall Emma Lazarus' poem inscribed on the base of the Statue of Liberty, offering a haven, a refuge, for the burdened and battered.  In the video below (scroll to the bottom of the post), Irving Berlin provides a musical setting for these beautiful words from Lazarus' poem:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
Do these words remind you, as they do me, of a more ancient text?
Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.  (Matthew 11:28-30)
 At least at this one point, Christ and Lady Liberty share a common, open heart.

Image source



Let's pause and pray...

Lord, open wide my heart
   to welcome any
who've been turned out,
   turned aside and turned away:
in my family, in my neighborhood
   where I work and 'round the world...

May the light of my words and deeds

   lift high a lamp of welcome
and my heart provide a place
   of rest and comfort
for the weary and heavy burdened...

Let my heart open wide for others, Lord,
   as your heart opens wide for me...

Amen.



  
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!