11/19/16

Pause for Prayer: SATURDAY 11/19

Image source

Every once in a while it's good to clean out
   your backpack, your purse, your brief case, your computer bag...

We all carry around a lot of junk we don't need,
   extra weight that weighs us down and complicates our lives...

Help me sort through my heart today, Lord, 
   and do a little "fall cleaning"
 
Help me lose what weighs me down
   and needlessly complicates my life...

Make things simpler, Lord,
   and teach me to simplify... 

Give me a lighter heart, Lord,
   and free me to serve you and my neighbor...

Amen.  

  



   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

  1. On the Feast of Christ the King, a reflection on analogies:

    "Some may find it difficult to warm to the notion of "kingship" but it's likely that all of us can wonder, "Who rules my heart? Whose rule shapes my thoughts, my choices, my decisions? Whose wisdom counsels me? Whose word guides me?" If Christ doesn't rule my heart, who or what does?"

    Yes, both analogies are "warm notions," but not of the same order, origin or implication.

    In teaching us how to pray, Jesus makes a fraternal analogy central to addressing God by saying "Our Father in heaven." (Luke 11:2-4, Matthew 6:9-13) By using this analogy He makes us his siblings (brothers/sisters). He explicitly invokes a brother-analogy in Matthew 12:46-50.

    Pontius Pilate and his soldiers chose the analogy of "King" to mock both Jesus and Jews in general (John 18:33-40 and 19:1-19). Their analogy presupposes coerciveness, power and dominance, not the humble, loving, brotherly role that Jesus speaks of so often.

    Both analogies are "warm notions," but in different ways with different implications.

    Pax bonumque! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!