12/31/16

As the old year comes to its end...

Image source

It's almost New Year's Eve, Lord,
in a year that seemed so very new
not very long ago...

Where has the old year gone, Lord,
and how did I live, how did I spend
these fleeting past twelve months?

I remember the times we walked together,
you and I, as friends...

And I remember the times I forgot, somehow,
you were there, right by my side...

I think of times when I pleased you
and of times when I failed to live your word
in what I said and did...

Yet, never once did your love fail me:
you pardoned and forgave me, 
your mercy freely given...

In  return, I come with empty hands: 
I haven't much to offer and all I have 
was first your gift to me...

So, now there comes a new year
and with it comes my prayer 
to be more worthy of your love...

In this new year
make strong my faith
and deep my trust in you...

Give me a hunger, Lord, for all that's true,
a thirst for all that's good, 
a desire for your wisdom...

Help me settle for nothing less than what comes, 
a gift from you,
to mend and heal my heart...

It's almost New Year's Eve
in a year that seemed so very new
not all that long ago... 

So wake my heart to yours, Lord,
and to all your grace and gifts:
let the new day dawn in peace,
the first of many in your grace...

Amen.



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!