12/19/16

Monday Morning Offering: 12/19

Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

Only a few shopping days left, Lord,

and then it's your birthday... 

I've been thinking about what to get
for someone who really does have everything...

So, what can I possibly give you

that you don't already have?

What could you possibly want from me?

I know…

What you want from me
are the things I hang on to, cling to,
the things I don’t want to let go of,
the things that get in the way 

between you and me…

Well, these won't be presents tied up pretty
in wrapping paper and bows
but for your birthday I want to offer you
what I know you want from me:

so, I offer you the many ways I keep myself 
from accepting your love for me…

I offer you
all the times I downplay and deny
the gifts and talents you've given me...


I offer you my resistance to seeing
the wonder in the human being you made me to be.
Help me believe that you take delight in me, Lord,
that in your divine eyes 

I'm a person of inestimable value and worth:
that I am your beloved...

And I offer you my envy:
and all the ways I focus on what others have,
forgetting what you've generously given me.

Keep me from jealous thoughts
and open my eyes to the treasures already mine,
right at my fingertips…

I offer you my moody sulks
when I banish myself to some lonely corner
and sit and feel sorry for myself.
Rescue me from these traps, Lord,
and draw me out of myself and into your arms

and into the lives of those around me...

I offer you my better instincts, Lord
my graced intuitions,
the ones I too easily dismiss
when I mistrust my own judgment.
Give me courage to speak and act
on the truth I know within…

I offer you the best of who I am,
the person you created me to be,
the unique individual you knew and loved
even before I was knit in my mother’s womb…

I offer you the unknown, untried, unused portions
of my heart, my soul, my mind, my imagination:
make of me the person you intended me to be, Lord,
and use my life to touch others
as others’ lives touch mine…

I offer you anything that tempts me to think
that I have nothing to offer
or that what I have to offer isn't worthy of you...


Let the light of your advent shine on me
and show me every gift you’ve given me, large and small

and especially the gifts of your love and mercy...

I offer you anything and everything
that keeps me from knowing
how much you love me, Lord,
and how precious I am in your eyes…

And, Lord – help me see in others
the goodness you find and see in them...


Accept my prayer this Advent Monday morning, Lord,
and all this day and through the week ahead...

Amen.





 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!