1/6/17

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 1/6

Image source

Dear God,

I wonder if my new year's resolutions look foolish
in the light of your plans for me
in the new year ahead...

I know you have plans for me - I read that in the bible,
where you spoke through the prophet Jeremiah:
For I know well the plans I have in mind for you,
   plans for your welfare and not for woe,
      so as to give you a future of hope.
When you call me, and come and pray to me,
   I will listen to you.
When you look for me, you will find me.
Yes, when you seek me with all your heart,
   I will let you find me...
Lord,
I'd love to know your plans for me for 2017!

And I know that you don't mean plans
the way I think of plans...

I know that your plans for me
won't determine my new year,
I know that your plans are more like
invitations,
opportunities,
calls,
challenges,
and nudges and hunches
   you plant in my mind and heart...

And I know that among all your plans for me,
the greatest is your plan to draw me closer to you
and to your truth...

Your plan for 2107
is to invite me to respond more readily and fully
when you whisper your call to me
in the depths of my thoughts,
in my conscience and in my heart...

Your plan is to challenge me
in just those places in my life where I'm
most stubborn,
most afraid,
most anxious,
laziest - or least inclined
to respond to the challenges
you set before me...

Your plan for the new year
is to provide me with new challenges
(or old ones I've not yet met)
and, once again, you'll call me
to accept and meet head on
the most challenging things in my life...

And your new year's plan
is to console me and hold me,
forgive me and comfort me
in just those places in my life where I am most alone
and most in need of your mercy, your presence,
your peace and your Spirit...

You know well, Lord,
the plans you have in mind for me
and though I have some notion of what they might be,
I know I don't know them all:
nor do I know when and where and how
you'll let me in on your plans...

I do know that any plan of yours for me
is for my welfare, for my good,
even when your plan may chart my path
through twists and turns of trouble and woe...

And I know that in your plans for me
you will always be there with me
and for me...

I know you want me to seek you in the new year, Lord
and I know you want to be found...

And I know that:
wherever you plans and my choices may bring me,
   you only want the best for me;
and wherever my prayer might lead
   you are there to lead me through my darkest hours;
and that whenever I call on you,
   you will listen and you will hear me
and you will take to heart my own heart's desires...

You know well the plans you have for me, Lord:
help me to discern and know them near as well
and to live in the hope and grace
of all your plans desire for me...

Help me resolve in this new year
to seek above all and to trust
in the plans you have in mind for me
and to live according to your word and will
and in that deep peace that flows only and ever
from your heart to mine, Lord,
because that is your plan
for me...

Amen.

Image source


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!