2/26/17

Monday Morning Offering: 2/27

Coffee in the Morning

Good morning, good God!

In just 48 hours it will be Ash Wednesday
and Lord, I want,
actually I need,
for this to be a good Lent...

I need to make a new beginning
and I need your help to do that...

I want to be refreshed
by making peace with you,
with some people in my life
- and with myself...

It's time for me to take a spiritual inventory:
to count my sins
and number all your countless mercies....

You offer me this season of grace, Lord,
and, indeed, I truly need
what you so freely give...

And you and I know, Lord,
that I've been here before,
many, many times...

As my New Year's resolutions often quickly fade,
so my Lenten promises sometimes last no longer
than the ashes on my brow...

Keep me faithful this Lent to what I promise
for prayer,
for fasting
and for works of mercy...

Keep me modest in my Lenten plans
that I might be faithful to them,
even if only in a few small things...

And if I stumble or fall along the way
then pick me up, dust me off,
and set me back on the path I pledged to walk...

Let me take no pride
when I'm faithful to my Lenten pledges,
but rather humble me with your grace
and remind me that without you
I can do nothing...

I offer you the 40 days ahead, Lord,
and pray you help me live this season
- just one day at a time...

Help me to pray,
a day at a time...

Help me to sacrifice my own comfort and pleasure,
a day at a time...

Help me to be generous and merciful,
a day at a time...

Keep me faithful every day to prayer
to help me see you more clearly,
love you more dearly,
follow you more nearly...

Keep me faithful in my efforts
to give up and to go without those things
I really don't need
and depend on much too much...

Whenever, wherever I might be merciful,
make me as generous to others
as you have been to me...

As I walk this Lenten journey, Lord,
help me meet the needs of those whose paths cross mine,
all those who walk beside, behind, before me,
family and friends, neighbors and strangers...

Walk by my side this Lent, Lord,
and remind me every day
how this season is first my offering to you, 
and then a grace for me...

One day at a time this Lent, Lord:
you and me, with the Church,
in the grace of your Holy Spirit,
one day at a time,
until the day of Easter joy...

Amen.



 
Lent2015
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!