5/20/17

Pause for Prayer: SUNDAY 5/21

Photo by Frank Spooner

A friend's photo, taken in his back yard,
brings to mind a verse from Psalm 42:
     As the deer longs for running streams
        so my soul longs for you, O God...
Let's pause and pray...

My heart and soul thirst for so many things,
   so many blessings and gifts:
      for love, for companionship,
      for healing and wholeness;
      for wisdom and understanding;
      for serenity, for grace,
      for mercy and peace...

My heart and soul thirst for a sip
   of waters pure, sweet and cool,
     for a drink that slakes my thirst
        deep, deep within...

Like a dry, parched desert land, my heart longs
   for a spring, a stream, an oasis
      where my barren life might be refreshed...

At the core of every thirst I know,
   at the bottom of my well gone dry,
there lies my soul, parched for you, Lord,
   with a thirst that only you can quench...

Help me know how the thirst in my heart's well
   is a thirst for you, O Lord:
a thirst that only you can slake,
   a well that only you can fill...

Lead me, Lord, to waters clean and clear
   where your grace flows sweet and pure,
waiting for my thirsty heart to drink,
   as a deer who longs for running streams...

(Pray with Bob Hurd's beautiful setting of Psalm 42...)




As the deer longs for running streams,
so I long, so I long, so I long for you.

1) A-thirst my soul for you the God who is my life!

When shall I see, when shall I see,
see the face of God?

2) Echoes meet as deep is calling unto deep,
over my head, all your mighty waters,
sweeping over me.

3) Continually the foe delights in taunting me:
“Where is God, where is your God?”
Where, O where, are you?

4) Defend me, God, send forth your light and your truth,
they will lead me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling place.

5) Then I shall go unto the altar of my God.
Praising you, O my joy and gladness,
I shall praise your name.



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!