7/10/17

A day late, so a "TUESDAY Morning Offering"


Image: George Mendoza

 

Good morning, good God!

How can it be Monday again, so soon, Lord?


Does time fly by as quickly for you
as it does for me?


I open my eyes from sleep
and I see a new week stretching before me...


What do you see, Lord, 

in the week I'm about to live?

This might be a Monday morning when: 


(A) a new week is the last thing I want to face


-or-  

 

(B) a new week is just what I want and need.


(A)  

Oh, God! not another week!
I've piled up enough hurt and uncertainty,
enough difficulty and confusion to last me a life time!

Please let this week be a lighter one, Lord...

Help me let go some of the burdens I carry...
Help me drop them into your hands, your lap...

Lighten the load I carry, Lord,
and help me find in the week ahead
some time in the warm sun,
moments of peace and prayer with you,
good work, well done,

some peaceful rest,
openness to the love around me,
and new hope that, indeed, you walk by my side
and carry me 

when the going gets too tough...

I offer you the week ahead, Lord:
help me face, not fear it; 
help me embrace and not try to escape it;
help me walk it in peace with you...

-or-

(B) 

A brand new week: praise God!
I look forward, Lord,
to the opportunities this week offers:
opportunities for what I don't yet know -
but will soon enough find out...

Who knows what this week will bring?
Well, actually, you know, Lord!
And since you do,
please make sure I find all the gifts,

all the opportunities
all the grace,
I know you'll spread on the path before me...

You already know that path, Lord,
so give me a keen eye for any missteps
I might make along the way...


I offer you the week ahead, Lord:

help me live it in love to the full;
help me share it with grateful generosity;
help me walk it in peace with you...

~ ~ ~

Perhaps the first grace of this week, Lord,
is seeing how both these morning offerings, A and B,
are my morning offerings:
sometimes for different weeks or different days,
and sometimes both of them

at one and the same time...

One thing I'm sure of:

this Monday morning moment with you
is a grace from your heart 

a gift from your hand, 
from yours to mine...

Whatever this week may bring, Lord,
keep me on the path of truth,
the way of love,
the highway of peace...


When I'm tempted to wonder if you're still by my side,
when I reach out but can't find your hand right away,
remind me of this morning offering,
of its prayer and peace and promise...
 


It's a seven day week before me, Lord,
but help me take it a day at a time,
or an hour or a minute, one at a time,
as I might need... 


Wake me each morning this week
to offer my day and my hope
into your loving heart and hands...


Amen.





     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!