12/31/17

A prayer for New Year's Eve


Image source

It's New Year's Eve, Lord,
in a year that seemed so very new
not very long ago...

Where has the old year gone, Lord,
and how did I live, how did I spend
these fleeting past twelve months?

I remember the times
we walked and talked together,
you and I...

And I remember the times
when I forgot, somehow,
that you were right there by my side...

I think of the times you took delight in me
and the times I failed to live your word
in what I said and what I did...

And yet you never failed me, Lord,
you never failed to love me,
to pardon and forgive me:
your grace so pure and always freely given...

And in return, I come with empty hands: 
I haven't much to offer and everything I have 
was first your gift to me...

But now there comes a new year
and with it comes my prayer 
to be more worthy of your love...

In this new year, Lord,
make me stronger in faith
and more trusting in your help...

Nurture in my soul a hunger for the truth,
a thirst for the holy,
a desire for wisdom...

Help me settle for nothing less
than what comes from your heart, Lord,
to mend and heal my own...

It's almost New Year's Eve
in a year that seemed so very new
not very long ago... 

Wake my heart to this New Year, Lord,
and to all your grace and gifts:
let a new day dawn in peace...

Amen.



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!