2/28/18

Pause for Prayer: THURSDAY 3/1



It was just about 37 years ago... I knew I'd be leaving my work in Campus Ministry at Notre Dame and returning to Boston for an assignment.  Then out of the blue, I was offered a position as Director of Campus Ministry at another large Catholic university.  I was torn and found it difficult to make a decision.

A friend in South Bend arranged for me to spend a weekend alone at a beautiful home on Lake Michigan, a quiet retreat where I might discern the right decision.  I brought with me a few cassette tapes, one of them by the St. Louis Jesuits included the new piece, Only This I Want.  I recall sitting by the fireplace and listening to Dan Schutte's song.  I couldn't get the lyrics and tune out of my head - and heart.  The question kept echoing: What is it that I really want?

I learned something about myself that weekend that was something of an unpleasant revelation to me: I learned that I could be easily seduced by position, prestige - and a very attractive housing and salary package!  Aside from those shiny temptations, however, and seeing them for what they were, I knew it was time to go home to Boston and serve in the archdiocese for which I'd been ordained.

I made my decision in prayer, singing Schutte's song - and for the last 37 years, that has made all the difference!



  
Only This I Want - sung here by Chris Brunelle

Lent is a wonderful season for pondering just what it is each of us truly wants in life - once we pare away all the bling that tempts and directs us down other paths, leaving only the one path of Christ that each of us is called to walk in faith.

Only this I want, but to know the Lord
and to bear his Cross so wear the crown he wore.

~ All but this is loss, worthless refuse to me,
for to gain the Lord is to gain all I need.

~ I will run the race, I will fight the good fight,
so to win the prize of the kingdom of my God.

~ Let your heart be glad, always glad in the Lord,
so to shine like stars in the darkness of the night.

 



   

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!