7/10/18

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 7/10



Today, Lord, I want to thank you for my legs,
those lower limbs that get me up
and move me about
from here to there and back again...

Just about two years ago, Lord,
my legs were woefully weak from lack of use:
I sat most of the day, drove even the shortest distances
and generally avoided walking...

No medical diagnosis here, Lord,
but very little muscle tone either:
my legs were  heavy weights, in just the place
where I really needed springs!

And then I lost some weight
and then I lost some more weight:
I had started walking,
putting one foot in front of the other,
over and over and over again
until I felt some strength, some support,
some muscle, some tone -
until I felt a reawakening in my limbs!

And then, where once were heavy weights
that slowed me down, kept me back
and held me captive in my own body -
there now, were springs, shock absorbers,
strong enough for me to trust they'd surely get me
from here to there and back again,
to any and all points in between!

I had truly feared atrophy, Lord,
that "gradual decline in effectiveness or vigor
due to underuse or neglect..."

I had wondered if at some point -
no, actually, I had wondered just at what point -
my legs would simply fail
and fail to serve me...

But when I began to serve them, Lord,
I began to serve my legs,
to exercise and push them past the limits
my lethargy imposed
- and they came back to life and I found
strength in my calves,
spring in my step,
balance in my gait
and joy in my soul...

I wouldn't have guessed it, Lord,
this connection between my legs and my soul,
I wouldn't have believed it
until I felt it, knew it, and walked it...

I had often heard and read about
the mind-body-spirit connection, Lord,
but I had known it only in my failing weakness:
now I know it in my strength
and in my strength of this connection I know you, Lord,
and I've found your powerful presence
in my thoughts, my limbs and my soul...

So, I thank you for my legs, Lord,
and I ask, I pray, you'll help me see what else
in my mind-body-spirit connection has grown weak,
is failing, is gradually declining in effectiveness and vigor
due to underuse and neglect...

Help me know what needs to be exercised, Lord,
what needs to be pushed beyond the limits
my sluggishness imposes...

With the help of your grace, Lord,
help me see what needs to come back to life,
help me see what I need to help me restore
clarity in my thoughts,
strength in my body,
and spirited joy in my soul...

Help me, Lord,
because on my own I know I'll fail
- and fall and fail again:
help me, Lord,
help me see, trust and believe
that with you and with your grace
all things are possible
in body, mind and soul,
yes all things are possible,
one day, one step at a time...

Amen.


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!