12/31/18

A prayer for New Year's Eve...


Image source

It's New Year's Eve, Lord,
in a year that seemed so very new
not all that long ago...

Where has the old year gone, Lord?
And how did I live, how did I spend
these fleeting past twelve months?

I remember the times
we walked and talked together, you and I,
and the peace of your companionship...

And I remember the times
when somehow I forgot
that you were by my side
and I tried to make it on my own...

I think of the times you took delight in me
and the times I failed to live your word
in what I said and did...

And yet you never failed me, Lord,
you never failed to love me,
to pardon and forgive me:
your grace so sweet and pure 
and always freely given...

And in return, I come with empty hands: 
I haven't much to offer 
and anything I do have 
was first your gift to me...

But now there comes a new year
and with it comes my prayer 
to grow worthy of your love...

In this new year, Lord,
day by day,
make me stronger in faith,
more trusting of your help...

Nurture in my soul
a hunger for the truth,
a thirst for the holy,
a desire for wisdom...

Help me settle for nothing less
than what comes from your heart, Lord,
to mend and heal my own...

It's New Year's Eve Lord,
in a year that seemed so very new
not all that long ago... 

Wake my heart to 2019,
to all your grace and gifts
and tomorrow, Lord, 
let a new day dawn in peace...

Amen.



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!