5/21/19

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 5/21

Image source

Yesterday's weather, Lord,
more than promised a season's change
- it delivered!

It was warm enough to suggest
that the corduroy pants I was wearing
were past their time,
that it was finally time, and none too soon,
for a change in my closet's wardrobe...

So I spent a couple hours last night
putting away my winter wear
for lighter fabrics and brighter colors...

When my work was done I stepped back, Lord,
and with no small amount of satisfaction,
surveyed my summer wardrobe...


And then it struck me, Lord:
how often I feel entitled
to the luxury of so many outfits:
clothes arranged by season,
more shirts and pants than days in the week,
in colors to suit my mood and whim
not to mention any occasion or time of day...

Embarrassed by this excess, Lord,
I thinned my winter and summer collections
and packed a box for those who have
fewer resources and greater want...

But still I have more clothes than I need...

So, make me mindful of others' needs, Lord,
and move my heart to give, generously,
not just from my surplus
but from my substance...

Make me more aware
and truly grateful, Lord,
for.all the things I have
and often take for granted...

Keep me from desiring and buying
clothing I don't need and most of all
- things that I might never wear...

Clothe me in heartfelt mercy, Lord,
and dress me in garments of grace;
attire me simply and modestly
from a wardrobe well-suited for a man
called to serve the poor...

Amen.


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!